Fw: Blue Buffalo Company - Kitten Dry Food

Blue Buffalo Company Announces Voluntary Recall of One Production Run of Spa
Select Kitten Dry Food

Contact:
Consumer Inquiries:
1-800-919-2833

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Wilton, Connecticut, April 19, 2007 -- The Blue
Buffalo Company today announced a voluntary recall of one production run of
its Spa Select Kitten dry food.

The recalled 3 lb. and 7 lb. bags of Spa Select Kitten dry food have the
production code "BEST IF USED BY MAR 07 08 B" printed on the bag. Consumers
should check this information on the bag, which is printed on the back panel
below the seal.

The Company has taken this action because the rice protein concentrate used
for this particular production run was obtained from Wilbur-Ellis, the same
company who supplied this ingredient to Natural Balance. Test results received
the evening of April 18th indicated that this rice protein concentrate tested
positive for melamine. This was the only production run that used rice protein
from Wilbur-Ellis.

Upon receiving the test results, the Company notified the FDA today and
immediately began this recall process.

Of the 5,044 bags produced in this particular production run, the Company was
able to prevent the majority from ever entering retail distribution. The
Company is working closely with its retail partners and believes that most of
the recalled product that had reached retail distribution has already been
pulled off the shelf.

Consumers should immediately stop feeding Spa Select Kitten dry cat food with
the above-listed date codes to their kittens and consult with a veterinarian
if they have any health concerns with their pet.

No other cat or dog foods, canned or dry, made by the Company are affected by
the recall.

Should consumers have a specific question, they can email the Company at
info@bluebuff.com or call 1-800-919-2833, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5
p.m. EDT, to receive more information.

Bill Bishop, CEO and President of The Blue Buffalo Company, commented "As a
family owned company whose reason for being is to provide cats and dogs with
the highest quality natural foods, we are extremely upset by this recall and
can't begin to apologize enough to our customers. From our perspective, it is
unacceptable to produce even one bag of food with the potential to cause a pet
to become ill, and we will further tighten our ingredient sourcing and quality
assurance procedures as a result of this incident."

####

FDA's Recalls, Market Withdrawals and Safety Alerts Page:
http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html

https://list.nih.gov/archives/fda-recalls-l.html