Re: Summertime...

My cousin in Hazel Dell, north of Vancouver Wa grew Camellias. I've seen them all over Portland & in Grant's pass. Worth a try, I think. ----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 2:49 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Summertime...

and the livin' is easy. Maybe. But whatever. It seems to have suddenly arrived, easy or not. It's been in the low 80s for a week or so and the forecast is for it to remain so for the foreseeable future. Lots of stuff is blooming, but there always is here--orchids, begonias, petrea, jatropha, on and on.

I just saw an interview with the guy that established the Honest T company. It raised a question for me--since tea is the dried leaf of a camellia species, I wonder if I'll be able to grow one in Oregon. I tried here a couple of times and couldn't, too warm. Might be fun to really do it.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10
Heat Zone 10
Sunset Zone 25
Minimum 30 F [-1 C]
Maximum 100 F [38 C]

Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.6/1360 - Release Date: 4/4/2008 6:02 PM