Re: bottlebrush bush - root system

Theresa do you know if it is a shrub or a tree form???  There are some
wonderful dwarf bottlebrush bushes available now, that are classified under
"Little John".  These stay relatively small, are easily hedged and  shaped, and slow
growing in comparison to others.   Monrovia recently  (in the past year)
introduced topiary trees too, which are wonderful.  I  like the Little John
because it blooms throughout the year rather than in the  spring only, or off and
on.  The blooms and foliage is smaller, but just as  beautiful.

I have a weeping bottlebrush tree which is Callistemon viminalis.....red
blooming.  From my experience the C. citrinus is more upright than the  actual
weeping bottlebrush tree, although it does tend to weep toward the end of  the
branches.  The C. viminalis has a growth pattern more like a weeping  willow.
My weeping bottlebrush is about 8 years old and is a good 20  foot tall, and
at least 10 foot wide.  It is planted in the middle of  my yard, directly next
to the pond.....I have yet to notice any root problems  either in the walkway
around the pond or in the yard.

Personally I don't think the root system is large enough to bother your
foundation, however, I would think that the shrub might be too close (if the
regular, not dwarf) to the house if it is a one story.  My neighbor planted  a
standard bottlebrush about 2 foot from his house, thinking he could keep  it cut
back......he has found this to be impossible since the bush, despite his  best
efforts, continues to grow back to the mature height.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

Which  one is it, Theresa? Callistemon citrinus [the weeping one] or