Re: Re: Camellias and tea

Auralie-the blooms certainly sound like some sort of camellia. Possibly a species plant of some sort-Has it ever put out seeds? I guess not if there aren't any other camellias in the neighborhood. What time of year does it bloom? Sasanquas usually bloom in the fall and Japonicas in the late winter to early spring. In fact lots of ours are still blooming.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2008 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Camellias and tea

Andrea, since Camellias are your specialty you may find this of
interest.  In  1980, just before he died, my father sent me a couple
of seeds, saying "plant these - they may be something special."
Well, I planted them in a pot with some other things and forgot
about them.  When the first came up, I thought it was a weed and
pulled it out - then realized too late what it had been.  When the other
came up, I treated it more carefully.  It didn't grow very quickly, but it
soon became obvious that it was some sort of Camellia.  Eventually
it grew big enough to put into a large pot.  For some years now, I
have kept it in a 12" pot.  It has never grown more than three feet
tall, and spreads to about four feet.  I suppose that keeping it in a
pot may cause some bonsai characteristics.  It blooms, not every
year, but has bloomed several times.  The blossoms are delicate
pink singles - probably sasnaqua type.  The interesting thing about
it, however, is it's growth habit - it doesn't exactly "weep", but grows
downward with somewhat contorted stems.  It is a handsome plant,
which I put outside in the summer and try to keep as cool as
possible in the winter - leaving it in an unheated entry until the
weather is very cold.  Does this ring any bells with you?

In a message dated 4/5/2008 11:05:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,