Re: story & weather

What color is the viola?  I'd love to have some.  I have a shady spot by my garage that I can't seem to fill in with much.

----- Original Message ----
From: Judy Browning <judylee@lewiston.com>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 11:42:29 AM
Subject: [CHAT] story & weather

thought you all might enjoy the story.
It was gorgeous in Idaho yesterday. 85 F when I got off work & still 70 F when
I got up at 2:30 am. 52 F & breezy this morning on my day off. My weeping
cherry is in bloom as are the neighbor's magnolias and the late violas. If
anyone wants an impenetrable, spreading shady groundcover, I'll send you a
start of this viola. Slowly spreads by rhizome, making a tight shallow mat. I
think I may try it under my big hemlock. MIght be a match for the grass &
dandelions that keep seeding around the edges.
Judy B z6 Idaho

      A Keeper

    Their marriage was good, their dreams focused. Their best friends lived
a wave away. I can see them now, Dad in trousers, tee shirt and a hat and Mom
a housedress, lawn mower in one hand, and dish-towel in the other. It was the
time for fixing things. A curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the
door, the hem in a dress. Things we keep.
    It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing,
eating, renewing, I wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste meant affluence.
Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.

  But then my mother died, and on that clear summer's night, in the warmth of
the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there
isn't any more.

    Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away...never
return. So... While we have it... it's best we love it... And care for it....
And fix it when it's broken..... And heal it when it's sick.
  This is true... For marriage.... And old cars.... And children with bad
cards..... Dogs and cats with bad hips.... And aging parents.... And
grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it.
Some things we keep. Like a best friend that moved away or a classmate we grew
up with.