Re: Checking in...

Jim, I so sorry about Squinty.  I would echo the advice given by everyone
else.  You did what you could for her.  Try not to beat yourself up about
it.  Have a good trip.  I'm sure she will be safe.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM, james singer <islandjim2@gmail.com> wrote:

> First, the bad news. I don't have Squinty. She slipped her harness somehow,
> got really spooked, ran off into the night. I tried several different ideas
> to coax her out of the dark so I could grab her but none worked. So I left
> her. I have now e-mailed several friends to please look for her hanging
> around the house and if they can catch her to please take her to a nearby
> shelter--there's one about five blocks from the house. Needless to say, I
> feel guilt, remorse, and very sad.
> For progress, I am now in the proximate east-west center of Texas, the
> small
> town of Sonora, at a Days Inn the provides free wireless internet
> connections in its rooms. So far I've covered about 1,600 miles--not quite
> half the trek.
> Wildflowers are in bloom in the Texas hill country. I wish I was
> comfortable
> with taking more time here to get some photos. But I'm not.
> More later.

"... [when] families are struggling to keep up with rising costs  ordinary
Americans are paying a price for this [Iraq] war. When you're spending over
$50 to fill up your car because the price of oil is four times what it was
before Iraq, you're paying a price for this war. When Iraq is costing each
household about $100 a month, you're paying a price for this war. When a
National Guard unit is over in Iraq and can't help out during a hurricane in
Louisiana or with floods here in West Virginia, our communities are paying a
price for this war. "
-Senator Barack Obama, "The Cost of War", March 20, 2008, at The University
of Charleston, Charleston, West Virginia