Miller again

  • Subject: Miller again
  • From: james singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 18:41:09 -0700

Probably Philip Miller's best known, and most important, book was published before The Gardeners Kalendar. It was The Gardeners Dictionary, a compendium of definitions and essays, arranged alphabetically, on a variety of garden plants [including their names in Latin and English], gardening methods and procedures, and related scientific explanations, techniques, and ephemera [there's an entry that discusses meteors, for example].

I've just added a copy of the Dictionary to my library. It's a folio- size book, pages are about 8-1/2 by 13-1/2 inches; pages are not numbered, so I've no idea how many there are, but the text part of the book is about 3 inches thick--so maybe 300-400 pages. This is the second [corrected] edition, printed in 1733. Subsequent editions were published in octavo format [roughly 5 by 8 inches] in four volumes.

Inland Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'