Re: OT - woodpeckers/cedar wax wings

  • Subject: Re: OT - woodpeckers/cedar wax wings
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:35:56 EDT

I love to watch our Downy Woodpeckers.  There must be more than one
family in the area because I can frequently see five or six at a time.  They
share the suet cake with a pair of Hairy Woodpeckers and at least one
pair of Red-bellies.  Those as such handsome birds.  What I am enjoying
right now is the large flock of  Goldfinches that have just recovered their
brilliant plumage.
We bring in our feeders every night or they would be gone in the morning.
One day last year our suet feeder disappeared right in the middle of the
day - and I was in the garden not far away!  There had been reports of a
black bear in the area, so I suspected it might have been around, but we
finally - days later - discovered the mesh holder on the garage roof, so we
then assumed it had been a raccoon.  We had to rig everything to prevent
their damage. Yes, they are cute to watch, but they can do a lot of damage,
and can really harm cats and small dogs.
Auralie

In a message dated 4/28/2009 9:25:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,