From: "Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI Johnson"
<cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 11:38:50 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [CHAT] Windy weekend

So once again, my little bit of California had decent weather most of
the work week which degraded into windy and cold for the weekend. Argh.
I did plant some tomatoes, they are getting big enough I don't want to
hold them in the greenhouse much longer. Figured with enough mulch and
the wall-o-water protectors it would be okay as we are probably not
going to get more frost. So far so good although I didn't have enough
protectors. I swear I ordered more this winter but maybe I dreamed it.
Anyway there remains in the greenhouse six plants plus a few spares, and
the peppers and the ornamentals are still in there as well. I moved the
big pots out to the patio but I didn't realize how much the geraniums
had grown over the winter. I used a few words trying to maneuver them
out the door without breaking too much off. Then after I had wrestled
the first one out and finally got it positioned I looked down and there
was a black widow spider the size of a half-dollar crawling out of the
pot!
I bought a flat of gazania for the area I cleared out front. It's never
been my favorite plant but it's tough and drought tolerant, and with a
little water it blooms all summer, those are good qualities. It just
looks sort of untidy to me, but maybe that's because I usually see it
along the freeways and in parking lots. If I hate it I can rip it out. I
am still trying to come up with stuff that will work in that half-shady
but dry area. Fine Gardening had a couple pages of suggestions in their
last issue and I'm trying to decide what to get.
What did you do over the weekend?

Cyndi