From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 6:16:34 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Spring?

Will this nonsense ever stop? In the past month we have had three
fairly nice spring-like days. All last week was gloomy and chilly -
overcast with temperatures in the 40s and lower 50s. Then, one
nice warmish day when it really felt good to go outside. Now we're
back into nasty. Today's high is 43 and it's spitting rain. Predicted
to have flooding conditions tonight. Enough already!

Some things are trying bravely to bloom. There's quite a lot of
forsythia about, though mine is just starting. Who, oh why do
so many people make lollypops out of it. In it's natural state, it
makes a quite graceful and cheerful display in the spring, and the
rest of the year it is just an inoffensive and unobtrusive bush. But
when it is lollypopped or squared up as a hedge it usually has
awkward bare lower limbs and just doesn't really add that much.
Oh well, just my opinion.

Quite a few of my daffs are out. Since my club is having, or trying to
have, a horticulture show on Monday, I got out my bulb catalogs to try
to find correct names for them. To my dismay, some of the older
favorites are no longer listed in the catalogs. I wouldn't have noticed
last fall, since I wasn't going to buy any of them again anyway. Two
old favorites I could not find are 'Rushlight' and 'Pipit.' Oh well.

It has been interesting to see how many of the small bulbs have
naturalized in my so-called lawn, and how they have moved around.
I'm sure chipmunks must help them. I have Scillas and Chinodoxas
and Greek Anemones growing in all sorts of places where I would
never have put them. I'm not complaining - just interested.

Hope the rest of you are having a better spring.