Ordeal of the Tomatoes Nearly Over
  • Subject: Ordeal of the Tomatoes Nearly Over
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:55:32 -0400

For this year, anyway...

Sold over 200 this week, most of them today at the church yard sale. I counted
83 left at about 11, (I was there at 7:45) and sold a bunch more before I gave
it up for the day. I'll peddle the rest between services tomorrow.

I'm about dead beat. Worked the BBQ line yesterday morning - we pack about a
thousand BBQ plates for business pre-sales, plus some more for walk-ins. I
also brought over the first 100+ plants and set them on the church lawn on my
way to do the 'cue. Had to water them before I left the church, then came
home, watered and packed the second carload. I had spent a good bit of
Wednesday and Thursday sorting them into types - container, cherry/grape,
plum, plain old red, canners, heirlooms (red, purple, green, pink, yellow,
black) and tidying up the peppers (8 types) and eggplants (3 types). This is
the first year I sorted by type, and it seemed to work pretty well. I used
contractors flags and wrote the type on the flag, then put a flag in each
flat. Just before leaving the church, I put the remainders under a 100+ year
old oak near the front door to the church so it will be convenient both for
those going to early service in the chapel and those going to the second
service in the sanctuary.

I sold out of all of the eggplants and most of the peppers. Yay! Wish me luck
on selling the rest of the 'maters, because my arms have grown long and my
back weary carrying them in and out with the weather. The money goes to the
mission fund, so the more I sell, the bigger the fund.

I can always bring the leftovers to the Master Gardener plant sale next
weekend, but that's another week of hauling water, and I'd really like to get
my own garden planted. For right now, though, a handful of aspirin, a glass or
two of wine and a few ice packs for knees and shoulders are in order.

Please tell me to get my head examined if I mention doing it on this scale
again next year. A decade ago, I could handle it. Today, I realized that I was
the oldest person working the yard sale - and that none of those working the
yard sale had worked the BBQ line yesterday. Whew!