Re: beautiful site...

Two possibilities - you may have seen a pipevine swallowtail - its host plants are pipevine and virginia snakeroots. It is the only black swallowtail with blue-green iridescence on the hind wings, white spots, and no yellow or orange on their upper side. It is unpalatable to birds and mammals that eat butterflies, though, so both the female spicebush swallowtail (host plants are spicebush, sassafras, and camphor) and some female eastern tiger swallow tails mimic them. Both the latter have either yellow/sage green spots on the upper sides of their wings. Its difficult, though, to convince any butterfly to stay still long enough for a clear look!