RE: re: Apologies- now ideas and links for a few spots

Well now that you asked Maddy:)

Looking for things to grow in zone 5. Have most of the common things I
care to have, but need some new ideas for a few spots :)

Since there is no more room in the backyard, I have started an island in
the front yard. So far it is not completed as the picture shows, need
more soil, and a finishing cutting on a few blocks. (how can the bottom
row fit fine and the top row doesn't!) You are looking at a dogwood,
specifically, cornus kousa chinensis 'Galilean'. I plan on putting
another tree at the far end, but haven't decided which one yet. So...
thoughts folks? Might need this link to figure out what I am taking
about--

http://illianagardenpond.org/islandfront.jpg

http://illianagardenpond.org/islandfront2.jpg

Oh- It is in full sun, but on the east side of my house so the afternoon
will be blocked somewhat. Of course, as the first link shows, the
southern breezes can be brutal since none of my neighbors do anything.

And now, I also have the southern side of my house to do something
with...

http://illianagardenpond.org/side.jpg

I have this 53ft X 14ft space. This side of the fence has plants, but
nothing till you get to the rose of Sharon basically in the front of the
house. So....... Have never done anything cause I don't know what I
want. Should I do a border raised bed, or fill the area with shrubs and
bushes... duh! I would like some bird attraction by the first window. My
cat hangs out there and he loves to watch the birds. There is a bird
feeder and bath there now.

So send all the links and ideas folks....

Donna
Where it is storming again:(- Someone wanted to know where the monsoons
are... they are in Illinois.. specifically Monee! My grass needs to be
cut, but there are so many puddles I can't... and now it is raining
again....