Re: lavender & what's going on in the garden

Thanks Kitty for the info.  I am rather skeptical though since most plants
that are the supposed to be tender or heat tolerant varieties of northern plants
seem to only grow to zone 8, not down here.  That goes for the new variety of
Lilac that is supposed to be perfect for hot humid areas, and the supposed
heat tolerant Tree Peony, etc.  All have been tested by the Texas A&M and the
MG's and none have proven to be good for this area.

It's okay though.  Once one finds out what does grow well, the possibilities
are endless, so it works out for the best.  Haven't hit the three digits yet
here.....but the dog days of August are definitely here.  Perfect time to take
a break to prepare for fall gardening.

Have been enjoying the peppers and tomatos.  One of my favorites that we
tried this year is the Wild Tomato.  Not any larger than the cherry tomatoes, if
that big, but TONS of them.  Grow on a vine like plant that grows all along the
top of the fence of the vegy garden.  Supposed to be native to Texas, not
100% sure though.
Enjoying the figs too for the past month.   Tree is full, enough for the
birds, fish, turtle and humans.  Noticed that the Papayas are blooming, so
hopefully will have some fruit before winter.  Bananas too, are still hanging on,
despite the hurricane force winds....so they will be ripening soon.   Some of the
Citrus trees are getting there too.  So much to look forward to come fall.
For now though, I'm staying inside and enjoying the blooms of the tropicals
and Texas natives from the window.  Mornings are still nice enough to be able to
go out for a morning "walk about" to see what is new......and enjoy a
frappacino.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast