Re: lurking

I haven't had all the rain that Donna and others have gotten, but we're
still cleaning up from the tornado that cruised through Cedar Rapids
recently.  With the exception of a few small limbs, my gardens came out
relatively unscathed.  LOTS of sticks to pick up, and they seem to keep
falling.
The Stargazer oriental lilies are done - nice long season this year.
Ornamental grasses are beginning to shoot up - Karl Foerster and a
Miscanthus "Graziella."  And of course the tried and true hybrid tiger
lilies that have naturalized in several spots in my yard are now at their
peak.  (Bulblets, anyone?)
The daylillies are almost done.  I can't do justice to them with names, as
they were all acquired when the son of a friend of mine moved into a house
that had a beautiful garden but he wanted GRASS!  We spend most of a spring
a few years ago saving all these beautiful specimens (liatris, primrose,
daylillies, feverfew, rudbeckia) and incorporating them in our gardens.
The echinacea purpurea bed has expanded once again this year, but as others
have noted, they're not very tall.  My iris finally got divided and put
back in the ground after flowering earlier this year - what a spectacular
sight!  I'd gotten them from Hornbakers Nursery in Princeton, Illinois.-
what a fantastic place!  Check out their website if you're interested in
hosta, iris, or grasses.
http://www.hornbakergardens.com/
I have caterpillars eating my baptisia australis - they are about 1 1/2
inches long with yellow, orange, and black on a skinny white body.  Anyone
know what they might be?  I decided there weren't too many and I have
enough plants to share.  They don't seem to be eating anything else in the
yard.
I rescued quite a quantity of different kinds of hosta last year from
various friends who wanted my help dividing theirs.  Most are in bloom now.
Someday I need to plant what I want, rather than taking in all these
orphans.  On the other hand, I've sure learned a lot at a low cost.  Just
hard to make markers for them when you don't have a clue what cultivar they
are!  I have a new appreciation for why it is important to know the names
of our plants from this list.
So that's my garden going into August.  I still have a clematis that will
bloom later this year, and the nekid ladies will surprise me at some point.
Other than that and the grasses, I'm about bloomed out.
Mardi
Iowa z4b