Re: bulbs are here/lurker

Dig the bulbs and spread them out on newspaper in a dry place with good
ventillation  (garage) for a few days.  On about the 4th day, you can clean
them by rubbing your thumb across them.  Soil should be removed because it
holds moisture that can rot the bulb and possible pathogens that could go to
work during storage.  Of course, that's a lot of rubbing for 1800 bulbs!
You might try rinsing them first to remove the soil, but then they must be
left to thoroughly dry before storage.

After I thumb rub mine I allow them to sit a few more days unless the garage
is terribly hot.  Then I take them down to my crawl space  and with
individual varieties in separate mesh bags, I spread them out on screens
until October. It is cool under the house but not cold.  You can't
refrigerate them becuase they still need warmth to aid in development of
their buds.  But I couldn't leave them in the house or garage because Tulips
should not be allowed to get too warm.  They can't tolerate temps over 70
for an extended period of time.  The cool but not cold temp under the house
is similar to what they might experience in the ground.

Brent & Becky suggest  using a fan to dry them quickly.  They also say it
helps during storage to remove gases from the bulbs normal respiration.
Just remember that good air circulation is important, so spread them well
out during storage.  That could be a cool basement or whatever else you
might have.

You mentioned other bulbs.  This method is fine for narcissus, tulips,
crocus, and many others, but there are some minor bulbs in the Lily family
that resent being out of the ground too long.  If you are concerned about
the others or have any other questions I'd be glad to look into it for you.