Re: attending fair?

In a message dated 8/17/03 6:03:54 PM, bkelson@ix.netcom.com writes:

<<     CERES was a name of one of the Ag Clubs at Purdue when I was in school.

I thought it was the name of the Goddess of Grain or something. >>

Betsy, I understood she was the goddess of agriculture.  I live in a planned
community developed by Pioneer Hybrid now owned by Dupont.  As agriculture
driven company it seems appropriate they would name a street & lake Ceres.  I did
not know that when we purchased our land to build a home.
    Below are a few bits I found on various websites.  Only tonight did I
know about the Chicago Trade center as given in the final paragraph & web site.
In no way do I pretend to portray the goddess or any of her glory however I do
like the name.
    Ceres is the largest of the four major asteroids, and is generally known
as the Great Mother. In ancient mythology Ceres was the Goddess of agriculture
and the harvest, and symbolized the cultivated, fertile soil that fed and
provided for humanity. She was worshipped as the all-nourishing mother. Her
primary story is about how her daughter Persephone was kidnapped by Pluto. When
Ceres grieved over this loss, all the abundance of nature dried up. When
Persephone was eventually returned, Ceres rejoiced, and seeds sprouted, flowers
bloomed, and crops once again filled the field.
    Ceres was a felicitous and excellent goddess to the Romans and they had a
common expression "fit for Ceres," which meant splendid.
    In Roman mythology, Ceres was the goddess of grain, agriculture, and
harvest and was worshipped by farmers and common people of Rome in the early Roman
times. There was a festival that honored her from April 12 to April 14th
called the Cerealia.
    The Chicago Board of Trade rears up at the end of LaSalle Street like the
prow of a financial Titanic. But this one seems to really be unsinkable.
Designed in 1928 by architects Holabird and Root, the limestone facade is an
elegant Art Deco landmark, topped by artist John Storrbs silvery statue of Ceres,
the Roman goddess of grain. She holds a sheaf of wheat in one hand, and a bag
of corn in the other. Itbs perfectly natural to mistake the latter for a sack
of money,