From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Pamela J. Evans
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 9:37 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] bermudagrass/nutgrass tip

For all you dedicated gardeners who have ever pulled a weed, you will
love this little exerpt from the Sept/Oct edition of Texas Gardener
magazine. It's about re-working beds in September.

"Beds that are too spent to recover can be reworked this month for the
next seasonal planting. Mix in a couple inches of compost and take this
opportunity to remove any pesky perennial weeds like bermudagrass and
nutgrass. Lay them on the sidewalk and pound them incessantly w/ a
hammer to make sure that they are dead."

I was on the front porch reading this and laughed loud enough to be
heard a block away I'm sure. I toss mine into the yard to bake for a few
days in the Texas sun. They end up being crispier than a Lay's potato
chip!!

That was too funny not to share!!
Gotta love a magazine written by REAL gardeners.

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX/zone 8A