Re: Rain & new babies

We had our first rain since July 22nd last night, and I received about an
inch.  Woo-hoo!!!  Coming home after a VERY hot day - high 90's - and the
temperature INSIDE the house read 92 degrees!  There are a few days a year
I wish we had air conditioning.  Melody and Ceres, I hope you got some
rain, as I know you are just as dry as I am.

I stopped a Home Depot recently, and they were in the process of unloading
1 gallon perennials fresh off the truck.  Plants looked fantastic, and were
priced at $2.99 each!  I couldn't help it - I bought so many I filled my
trunk!  (Thanks goodness it's a convertible with a small trunk)  I have a
new border of Sedum Spurium "Dragon's Blood."  The tag says they get 3-4
inches tall, but the ones I have are 7-10 inches tall now and about to
bloom.  Anyone have any experience with this plant?  Does it flop or stand
tall like the "Autumn Joy" cultivar?

I also brought home some Fountain Grass - pennisetum alopecuroides
"Hameln," which has added some nice texture to the garden.  Is this plant
going to behave itself?  It looks like a clumper, but I've found out the
hard way one can be surprised.

They had a couple of other grasses that were in peak condition but my
initial research says they might take over.  One was the 8-10 foot hardy
pampas grass, Saccharum ravennae and the other was Gold Tufted Hair Grass -
Deschampsia caespitosa "Goldschlier" (Gold Veil).  I'm getting conflicting
reports on the Gold Veil.  Most websites say it is 12 -18 inches tall, but
the HD tag says 4 feet. Opinions, anyone?  Grasses are so much fun.  I just
wish they had shorter names!
Iowa Z4b (but the grasses will be planted in Z5)