Re: soil types and pH

  It depends on where you are gardening.  Basically, we are on a fairly
steep, rocky  slope but many areas have been filled or altered in some way and the
variations are great.  The basic soil is clay, almost ceramic quality, between
the rocks.  The ph is on the acid side, but we regularly add lime everywhere.
 We continually add compost to the garden areas.  For a new bed we built a
couple of years ago we had a load of what they promised us was topsoil brought
in, but it was pretty poor, sandy stuff.  The whole area has been so tinkered
with that it's really hard to make a general statement - except that probably
30% is pure rock either outcroppings or less than  a foot below the surface.
Our landscaping, if it can be called that, is purely dictated by where we can
dig a hole or else build a raised bed.
Auralie NY,Z5