Re: Re: Rayna's new house & euonymus

If they root, I think I'd cheat a little--pot them up and over-winter them in a cold frame. If you don't have a cold frame, you might want to build one or three. USDA used to have a Farmers' Bulletin called "Hot Beds and Cold Frames" [I'm not making this up] that included some very good plans.

On Wednesday, August 4, 2004, at 04:50 PM, Kitty wrote:

Jesse,
I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting some to root, but I suppose if you'd
started them 4 weeks earlier they'd have more roots going into winter. I'd
say that if you take cuttings now and they root well, but they don't make it
through winter, your only problem would have been that they weren't far
enough along.

I've been thinking about box cuttings too, but I'd like to try the box that
I moved in June. It seems to be settling in ok and if it survives into next
year, I might try cuttings from it next year.

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jesse Bell" <silverhawk@flash.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Rayna's new house & euonymus

YES..that is exactly the boxwood I have too. It's perfect. And I am in
zone 6. It said to take the cuttings in July...but I may go ahead and
try a few and see how they do (for outdoor rooting). If it works...next
year I'm gonna go NUTS and have more hedges than I know what to do with!
Between my tiller and my new weed-eater....I am NEVER in the
house...last night I was out till dark...sweat dripping off my nose from
the humidity. My kids look at me like I'm smoking crack...they can't
understand why ANYbody would want to be out there working in that
weather. I'm out there making my Native American Medicine Wheel
Garden...and my husband looks at my drawings and says, "why...?" *sigh*

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
Jesse,
I found it, scanned it. The first picture looks strange because I had to
change the color depth in order to rotate it. But it is just a hand,
holding the cutting with rooting hormone on it - and yes, the cutting they
show does have fingers. It's not a big article, actually just sort of a
sidebar on an article about the boxwoods at Mount Vernon. "The
Presidential
Box: Growing It from Cuttings" discusses Buxus sempervirens 'Suffruticosa'
and says it can be rooted outdoors as far north as Zone 6. You may have to
make some adjustments if you are colder and / or if you're doing a
different
species.

I'm sending you the jpg privately. If anyone else wants it, let me know.

Kitty