Garden Projects

Dear All,

I've been trying to put some finishing touches on some of my gardens. Some
of the areas needed something to unify or define them.  For instance, I have
a wide brick pathway leading to my house that is straight on one side and
curved on the other. One side gets a lot of shade and is planted with
hellebores, hosta, fringed bleeding heart, anemones, HAKONECHOLA MACRA
AUREOLA, Liriope, tiarella, Japanese painted ferns, columbines, pulmonaria,
etc.  There are shade loving shrubs and red cedars in this garden as well.
It has a meandering pathway going through it that was just shredded mulch.
Today I placed some flat rocks, that I had left over from dismantling a
small rock wall, along the path in an asymmetrical pattern.  Then I added a
big deep green glazed pot that I am going to plant with ferns, variegated
grasses, and maybe a silvery begonia or pulmonaria. What a difference it
made to the garden!  It feels like a "destination" now!

I have other shady gardens with wide pathways that  just have leaf mulch for
walkways.  I was thinking of cutting up some red cedar logs that we have on
the property, after cutting down some trees, and making pavers out of them
to define another pathway.  These are informal areas with naturalistic
plantings, so edgings don't really fit. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I also spent hours in the last few days trying to clean Houttiana cordata,
Chameleon vine, out of a small potion of another bed. I've done this before
in another area and the roots of this plant must go down to China and break
off as soon as you try to put them out, always leaving a piece of root
behind to start a new plant!  I can honestly say that I will never get rid
of that plant in my lifetime!

I spruced up another pathway by weeding it and covering it with layers of
newspaper and mulch.  I have to renew the mulch every few years, but it's
worth it!

This must be the year of the pathway, I guess!  I have a load of gray-blue
irregular wall rock to go in the white garden.  I have to limb up some huge
yews before that walkway goes in.  My son was supposed to help with that
project, but he's been busy working this summer as a camp counselor.  He has
5th grade boys and comes home exhausted!  I have 12 special education
preschoolers every day during the school year, so I know about being wiped
out!

Does anyone know how to get rid of ivy that's invading my grass?  I tried
pulling it out, but there's just too much!  I'm thinking Roundup might be my
only answer.

Chris
Long Island, NY
Zone 7