Re: seedling mulch

Interesting - well starter is the finest type and best for seedpots.
I don't think it's much of a critter deterrent tho'.  From a soil
additive point of view, the starter grade of grit is like adding a
coarse sand without the finer sand particles.

I would assume that oyster shells would raise pH IF the rain you get
is on the acid side as most is.  Oyster shells are pure calcium
carbonate as is coral which is ground up and used as a soil amendment
in Hawaii to raise soil pH...now, how fast does it leach out of the
oyster shells....I have no clue, but over time it certainly would
leach some - might take a long time.  I read that ocean water has a
pH of about 8, so maybe that's what oyster shells are...I couldn't
find anything in a quickie Google that said what the specific pH of
the shells were tho' the article on grinding up coral gave it as an

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Well, I stopped in at the co-op today. They don't have any grit at
all, but
> he's ordering in a bag for me.  They carry starter or chicken grit.
> don't get to pick the type of granite like they do in England.  I
> that we'd sell it at Bulbapalooza for critter control and he said
he thought
> oyster shells might be better.  We've sold those for 4 years, but I
> occasionally get someone who asks about OS raising the pH.  We
already have
> neutral to somewhat lime soil here.  I know you end up with more
Calcium in