Re: Art in Garden talk - now vines

In a message dated 8/9/2004 8:05:54 AM Central Standard Time,
pdickson@sbcglobal.net writes:

Virginia  creeper

I am always surprised when I am reminded that in some areas people actually
buy Virginia creeper.  I have it all over my backyard fence and growing up
every tree in my yard.  I don't mind pulling it out of the flower beds and  off
the house, and I think it is pretty on the fence.  Some of it's  handsful of
leaves are almost a foot across on my fence.  It also has a  wonderful fall
color.  A shrub that might do well in Texas is  Lorapetalum.  I have had great
success with it in my zone 7 yard.  It  requires zero care, little water, and
only occasional pruning after bloom  time.  Looks a lot like barberry without
the thorns and has beautiful  flowers in the spring.
zone 7
West TN