Re: Chinese ginger - Yo Kitty!

In a message dated 08/09/2004 7:21:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
garrideb@well.com writes:
Marge and I can attest that Virginia Creeper is truly 'vigorous'.
It will grow up/through/over/envelop any shrub, even Euonomus (sp ?).
I use roundup on it; it even tunnels through lawns and up the nearest
shrub... I wouldn't plant it with/for my worst enemy. Those in
< zone 7 may find it less invasive. I dare you to grow it, IJ :-).

It all depends on where you are, Jim.  Virginia Creeper grows here, too,
but is no problem.  It is not invasive, and is not hard to pull out where I
don't want it.  Wild grapes are a bit more invasive, but the real problem
is the Oriental bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus) that is taking over
the world in this area.  My neighbors have let it grow over their trees
(they are not gardeners or even outdoors people) and it has seeded
everywhere.  I pull it out whenever I see a seedling, but trees along
the parkways are really blanketed with the stuff, and I know they will
eventually succumb.