Re: gainful employment/burnout

Pretty brutal, Judy.  Don't blame you for being upset about it.  If,
like Cathy, you sign up with the military for 24x7 or, if, like me,
you're self-employed, you can expect to have to work ungodly hours
for no bennies.

However, if you sign up for a certain time period for a certain rate
of pay - that's what you should have to provide; being asked to do
more for less just ain't kosher.  It's like my clients wanting more
work than was contracted for, for the same fee.  They try, but I have
gotten a lot less cooperative about it in my old age:-)

If you are hourly, I do not believe they can legally require you to
work for no overtime.  If you are salaried, I think they can, legally
do this - but it really would depend on your actual agreement.  If
they have a human resources department, you might try a bit of
complaining:-)  I wonder what OSHA would think of them not giving you
lunch breaks?    Are you union?  If so, there's a venue for some
complaining.

I wouldn't think an extra day's pay for 3 days is worth it,
myself...of course, again, it depends on just how badly you need the
job.

Vent away - that's what friends are for:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis