Re: VA creeper was: Chinese ginger - Yo Kitty!

Well, Zem, if your friend wants to travel a bit further north, I
would be totally delighted to have them harvest all the poke they
want.  Spent a few hours this eve pulling and digging out this year's
crop on the north side of the house; about 4 bushels & still many
more to go.  Once those little beggars get more than about 4" tall,
their tap roots are a stinker to get out, even in damp ground.

I see where my neighbor's poke on the berm are setting seed; need to
go outside the deer fence and tackle them.  I think I am making some
headway as there seem to be fewer plants and those are shorter this
year.  I just go break them down as digging them out is beyond me.
When I realized what was growing on that berm, those suckers were a
good 12' tall with 4" diameter stems - awesome plants spewing seed
down on my property like rain.  The neighbors have a 6' tall wood
fence with a row of hemlocks on their side so they have no idea
what's growing outside their fence - and even if they knew, I don't
think they'd care.  I see that wild grape is starting to cover their
hemlocks...ought to kill them in a few years.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Zemuly@aol.com
> In a message dated 8/10/2004 4:05:52 AM Central Standard Time,
> mtalt@hort.net writes:
> like the  variegated poke weed, I just cannot convince myself to
introduce it
> when I am  in constant battle with the species.
> That's a real pest here, too.  However, I have a friend from
Memphis  who