Re: pics

Sounds like a collection of images that must have come with your
scanner software - sort of a really great collection of clipart.
Quite a few programs will offer collections of images or contain them
for use with the program - sort of an extra to get you to use or buy
the program in the first place...or the hardware they came with.

Try renaming one of the files - copy it to another folder somewhere
else on your hard drive.  Name it "whatever the photo is".jpg
(without the quotation marks) and see if you can open it in whatever
image viewer you usually use.  If you're using a MAC, maybe you need
to use .jpeg as an extension - try it both ways.  You can name a file
anything you want to and change the extension to anything you want
to, but to open it, the extension has to relate to the data in the
file in a meaningful manner to your computer system.  If those
extensions don't work, try .gif  .bmp   .tif  or .tiff...any file
extension connected to images.  If you have an image editing program
on your computer, see what options it gives you for saving files and
try all those extensions as well...

 If you can open it, that means you can change the file extension to
.jpg (or whatever works) and away you go...rename the images you want
to use or keep as you come across them; put them in other folders in
another directory on your computer.  Once you do that, you can delete
them from the original location to save space on your computer if you
want to.

If changing the file extension works, I am sure there is some freebie
software out there for doing this as a batch file - in other words,
software or instructions for creating a batch file that would change
all the file extensions in a given folder or directory at one time...

PS...just Googled file extensions .pic and found a site listing about
every known extension with what the file actually is - amazing.  It
gives the following for .pic...

	PC Paint bitmap
	Lotus picture
	Macintosh PICT drawing

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> I wonder if anyone can help me on this.  I have a few collections
of garden
> photos on cds.  I have a large collection on my hard drive that I
have no
> clue where it came from or how to identify the photos in it.  For
> reason the whole lot is simply titles Pics and was installed under
> scanner software.  It didn't come with the scanner.
> The photos all have the extension .pic which none of my photo
programs will
> open.  However, Pics was also installed with its own Quick Time
Viewer which