hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
 Navigation
Articles
Gallery of Plants
Blog
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Patents
Mailing Lists
    FAQ
    Netiquette
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
Links
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: pics


I checked and was wrong.  Now I have no idea.
Kitty

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] pics


> So, Kitty...you said in an earlier post you had a slight idea where they
might have come from...why not try the theory out on us?
>
>
> Melody, IA (Z 5/4)
>
> "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."
> --Albert Einstein
>
>  --- On Tue 08/17, Kitty < kmrsy@comcast.net > wrote:
> From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
> To: gardenchat@hort.net
> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:06:50 -0500
> Subject: Re: [CHAT] pics
>
> It just wouldn't make sense that these 1000s of plant pics would come
> with a<br>generic product like quick time. It is all
> plants.<br><br>----- Original Message ----- <br>From: "james singer"
> <jsinger@igc.org><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday, August
> 17, 2004 4:26 PM<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] pics<br><br><br>> Maybe they
> came with Quick Time.<br>><br>> On Tuesday, August 17, 2004, at 10:45
> AM, Kitty wrote:<br>><br>> > Marge - it's not clipart, it is superb
> photography. And it definitely<br>> > did<br>> > not come with my HP
> scanner. The files are dated May of 2002; I<br>> > bought the<br>> >
> scanner almost 7 yrs ago.<br>> ><br>> > I have one photo program that
> claims to open pic files, but says these<br>> > pic<br>> > files are too
> complicated for it. The file extensions cannot be<br>> > changed.<br>> >
> The images are all compressed. File # 2001 is a 141kb pic,
> compressed<br>> > from<br>> > a 942 kb jpeg. Changing the extension just
> screws up the photo.<br>> ><br>> > The Quick Time Viewer offers no
> saving capabilities, however you can<br>> > copy to<br>> > your
> clipboard. If I want to save the photo with a usable extension,<br>> > I
> just<br>> > open Photoworks, click on "New Image" and paste. Then save
> it anyway I<br>> > want. So, yes, they're usable - in a convoluted
> way.<br>> ><br>> > The biggest problem is in the identifying. As I said,
> they're in no<br>> > particular order and no names, just numbers.<br>>
> ><br>> > This is going to really bug me for awhile. Where the heck did
> this<br>> > come<br>> > from? I have an inkling.......may take a while
> to figure out.<br>> ><br>> > Thanks for your help.<br>> ><br>> >
> Kitty<br>> ><br>> ><br>> ><br>> > ----- Original Message -----<br>> >
> From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net><br>> > To:
> <gardenchat@hort.net><br>> > Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 1:53 AM<br>>
> > Subject: Re: [CHAT] pics<br>> ><br>> ><br>> >> Sounds like a
> collection of images that must have come with your<br>> >> scanner
> software - sort of a really great collection of clipart.<br>> >> Q
>
> uite a few programs will offer collections of images or contain
> them<br>> >> for use with the program - sort of an extra to get you to
> use or buy<br>> >> the program in the first place...or the hardware they
> came with.<br>> >><br>> >> Try renaming one of the files - copy it to
> another folder somewhere<br>> >> else on your hard drive. Name it
> "whatever the photo is".jpg<br>> >> (without the quotation marks) and
> see if you can open it in whatever<br>> >> image viewer you usually use.
> If you're using a MAC, maybe you need<br>> >> to use .jpeg as an
> extension - try it both ways. You can name a file<br>> >> anything you
> want to and change the extension to anything you want<br>> >> to, but to
> open it, the extension has to relate to the data in the<br>> >> file in
> a meaningful manner to your computer system. If those<br>> >> extensions
> don't work, try .gif .bmp .tif or .tiff...any file<br>> >> extension
> connected to images. If you have an image editing program<br>> >> on
> your computer, see what options it gives you for saving files and<br>>
> >> try all those extensions as well...<br>> >><br>> >> If you can open
> it, that means you can change the file extension to<br>> >> .jpg (or
> whatever works) and away you go...rename the images you want<br>> >> to
> use or keep as you come across them; put them in other folders in<br>>
> >> another directory on your computer. Once you do that, you can
> delete<br>> >> them from the original location to save space on your
> computer if you<br>> >> want to.<br>> >><br>> >> If changing the file
> extension works, I am sure there is some freebie<br>> >> software out
> there for doing this as a batch file - in other words,<br>> >> software
> or instructions for creating a batch file that would change<br>> >> all
> the file extensions in a given folder or directory at one time...<br>>
> >><br>> >> PS...just Googled file extensions .pic and found a site
> listing about<br>> >> every known extension with what the file actually
> is - amazing. It<br>> >> gives the following for .pic...<br>> >><br>> >>
> P
>
> C
> Paint bitmap<br>> >> Lotus picture<br>> >> Macintosh PICT drawing<br>>
> >><br>> >>
>
>     http://www.ace.net.nz/tech/TechFileFormat.html#o<br>>
>
> >><br>> >> Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland<br>> ><br>> > ----- Original
> Message -----<br>> > From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net><br>> > To:
> <gardenchat@hort.net><br>> > Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 1:53 AM<br>>
> > Subject: Re: [CHAT] pics<br>> ><br>> ><br>> >> Sounds like a
> collection of images that must have come with your<br>> >> scanner
> software - sort of a really great collection of clipart.<br>> >> Quite a
> few programs will offer collections of images or contain them<br>> >>
> for use with the program - sort of an extra to get you to use or
> buy<br>> >> the program in the first place...or the hardware they came
> with.<br>> >><br>> >> Try renaming one of the files - copy it to another
> folder somewhere<br>> >> else on your hard drive. Name it "whatever the
> photo is".jpg<br>> >> (without the quotation marks) and see if you can
> open it in whatever<br>> >> image viewer you usually use. If you're
> using a MAC, maybe you need<br>> >> to use .jpeg as an extension - try
> it both ways. You can name a file<br>> >> anything you want to and
> change the extension to anything you want<br>> >> to, but to open it,
> the extension has to relate to the data in the<br>> >> file in a
> meaningful manner to your computer system. If those<br>> >> extensions
> don't work, try .gif .bmp .tif or .tiff...any file<br>> >> extension
> connected to images. If you have an image editing program<br>> >> on
> your computer, see what options it gives you for saving files and<br>>
> >> try all those extensions as well...<br>> >><br>> >> If you can open
> it, that means you can change the file extension to<br>> >> .jpg (or
> whatever works) and away you go...rename the images you want<br>> >> to
> use or keep as you come across them; put them in other folders in<br>>
> >> another directory on your computer. Once you do that, you can
> delete<br>> >> them from the original location to save space on your
> computer if you<br>> >> wan
>
> t to.<br>> >><br>> >> If changing the file extension works, I am sure
> there is some freebie<br>> >> software out there for doing this as a
> batch file - in other words,<br>> >> software or instructions for
> creating a batch file that would change<br>> >> all the file extensions
> in a given folder or directory at one time...<br>> >><br>> >> PS...just
> Googled file extensions .pic and found a site listing about<br>> >>
> every known extension with what the file actually is - amazing. It<br>>
> >> gives the following for .pic...<br>> >><br>> >> PC Paint bitmap<br>>
> >> Lotus picture<br>> >> Macintosh PICT drawing<br>> >><br>> >>
> http://www.ace.net.nz/tech/TechFileFormat.html#o<br>> >><br>> >> Marge
> Talt, zone 7 Maryland<br>> >> mtalt@hort.net<br>> >> Editor: Gardening
> in Shade<br>> >> -----------------------------------------------<br>> >>
> Current Article: Corydalis<br>> >>
> http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/shade_gardening<br>> >>
> ------------------------------------------------<br>> >> Complete Index
> of Articles by Category and Date<br>> >>
> http://mtalt.hort.net/article-index.html<br>> >>
> ------------------------------------------------<br>> >> All
> Suite101.com garden topics :<br>> >>
>
>     http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635<br>>
>
> >><br>> >><br>> >> ----------<br>> >>> From: Kitty
> <kmrsy@comcast.net><br>> >>><br>> >>> I wonder if anyone can help me on
> this. I have a few collections<br>> >> of garden<br>> >>> photos on cds.
> I have a large collection on my hard drive that I<br>> >> have no<br>>
> >>> clue where it came from or how to identify the photos in it.
> For<br>> >> some<br>> >>> reason the whole lot is simply titles Pics and
> was installed under<br>> >> my<br>> >>> scanner software. It didn't come
> with the scanner.<br>> >>> The photos all have the extension .pic which
> none of my photo<br>> >> programs will<br>> >>> open. However, Pics was
> also installed with its own Quick Time<br>> >> Viewer which<br>> >>>
> bears a red apple icon making me think it has to do with Mac. So,<br>>
> >> if I click<br>> >>> on one of these
>
> .p
> ic files in Windows Explorer, the QTV opens and<br>> >> shows the<br>>
> >>> selected photo.<br>> >>> When the QTV is open, I can open more of
> these pics. Each one is<br>> >> labeled<br>> >>> PHOTO - JPEG and a
> number like 1639. There are 8 directories each<br>> >> named<br>> >>>
> 1500, 2000, 2500, etc. Each directory holds roughly 500-1000<br>> >>
> pictures.<br>> >>> The strangest part of the collection is that there is
> no connection<br>> >> between<br>> >>> the pictures within each
> directory. 8001 is a waterlily and 8007<br>> >> is some<br>> >>> sort of
> succulent. 8005 looks like Million Bells. There are also<br>> >>
> shrubs,<br>> >>> palms, cacti, you name it.<br>> >>><br>> >>> First,
> does any of this sound familiar to any of you? Second, can<br>> >>
> you<br>> >>> suggest any way of utilizing this horribly configured
> collection of<br>> >>> absolutely stunning plant photography? It's
> pretty useless as it<br>> >> is because<br>> >>> I can't find anything
> and nothing is named and there is no order to<br>> >> it. But<br>> >>>
> it seems a shame to waste it. Any ideas?<br>> >>><br>> >>> Kitty<br>>
> >>><br>> >>><br>> >>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------<br>>
> >>> Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>> >>>
> http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>> >><br>> >>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------<br>>
> >> Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>> >>
> http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>> ><br>> >
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------<br>>
> > Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>> >
> http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>> ><br>> ><br>> Island Jim<br>> Southwest
> Florida<br>> 27.0 N, 82.4 W<br>> Zone 10a<br>> Minimum 30 F [-1
> C]<br>><br>>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------<br>>
> Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>>
>
>
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>---------------------------------------------------------------------<br>Support
>
> hort.net -- join the hort
>
> .net fund drive!<br>http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
> The most personalized portal on the Web!
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!
> http://www.hort.net/funds/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!
http://www.hort.net/funds/


  • References:
    • Re: pics
      • From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com>

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index



 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement