Re: Ia St Fair-- jrf--

In a message dated 08/18/2004 10:29:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gardenqueen@academicplanet.com writes:
Hello! It's Aug 18th- not October! Supposed
 to be the dog days of summer here. Anyone else noticing that?

Strange summer here, too.  Not much really hot weather - only two days in the
90s, and not many out of the 70s.  It t has been terribly humid but not much
rain has fallen.  The pond was down over a foot until we got some rain Friday
from the edge of Charley.  Today it is 73 with 96% humidity and very dark and
overcast.  Have the lights on in the house.  Not nice weather at all.  And
my dogwoods are beginning to take on reddish tones - noticed that yesterday.

I have only seen a very few Monarchs this year.  I grow milkweed just for them
(not really, I love the blooms and scent in the spring).  I have seen a
couple of
the larvae but not many, and I have been looking for them.  In reference to
yellow aphids - they have been very heavy on my cultivated Asclepias ( the
one - I can't think of the species right now and don't have time to look it
but I have never seen them on the wild ones that grow right across the drive
from the cultivated ones.
Auralie - Z5