Re: Re: 4PM tubers

Kitty wrote:
If they're to be treated like dahlias, it would be after they're blackened
by frost.  They will store better that way.

I assume we're talking about Mirabilis jalapa tubers here, hard to keep
track of the contents vs. subject.
IF tubers are to be treated like Dahlia tubers, then:
1) Cut off stems after blackened by first hard frost
2) Leave in ground for a week
3) Dig, wash clean of dirt
4) Soak 10 minutes in 10% Clorox
5) Let air dry for several days (to toughen tuber skin) in shade
6) Store over winter at 40 - 50 F in BARELY moistened coarse vermiculite
   or wrapped in Saran/cling wrap. Slightly crack storage baggie to let
   oxygen in yet contain most water. The danger in storage is mold.
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W
USDA Zone 7