Tree variety

David, my brother from Morgan Hill, Calif is visiting and is interested in
planting trees.  He has lost some big oakes.  He has an acreage located on the
mountain overlooking the city. What would be your suggestion for a lg shade
tree.  He very much likes my tulip tree, Liriodendron.  Is this a possibility?
What USDA zone would that be?  Also, generally speaking what is the soil ph?
    He loves my landscape/garden and has frequently hinted at me helping him.
I could do a design but I have no idea for plant material.
    Ceres