RE: cuttings

If you are planning to let the coleus go to seed and collect the seed
for starting next year, there could be a chance. However, I think many
are sterile. I'm sure you would not get the same leaf patterns if they
did germ. A lot of the neat ones today are what are called vegetative
varieties - they have to be propagated from cuttings.

My big problem with trying to carry coleus cuttings through winter is
mealybugs. I kept treating them, but then they'd pop up on another one.
Finally, all I had left were 3 Tilt-a-whirls with mealybugs, but it was
spring so I put them outside in a cloche where they could get cold
enough to kill the bugs but stay just warm enough to hopefully not kill
the plants. It worked, they look great now. Interestingly, one of the
cuttings, while it did keep its T-a-w coloring, it lost its trademark
fan shape and sort of reverted to a pointy leaf.

-- "Donna" <gossiper@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Just another dumb question.....

I have some interesting coleus this year that were purchased as small
plants, you know the spring tray type purchases. Some turned out to have an
interesting color combo leaves.

So.... if I let them go to seed, would the seeds produce the same colors
next year?

I know you are all going to suggest I take cuttings, but that never works
for me- about the end of Feb- early March- everything dies here! I suppose I
could mooch a tad of room at the greenhouse, but previous years taught me-
they don't die, but sure come up missing about the time I need them! So that
is out too....