Re: Success!!!!!

I am no cuttings guru by any means. That's why I was so thrilled with my
experiment. My experience has been limited to tender plants in the fall
to carry over for the next year, a few houseplants and these woodies.
I've not tried any perennials until last Sunday when I cut some
heliopsis for the box. I don't know how long they take to root - or if
they even will!

My guess would be that, this far north it would be too late if your plan
is for the cuttings to remain outdoors. Even if they rooted well enough
to transplant into the ground, their rootballs would be too small and
without enough time to really grab a good hold of the soil to prevent
frost heave this winter. If my heliopsis do make roots, I will probably
pot them up and keep them in the garage their first winter.

All of this cuttings business is just guesswork for me. But if you don't
experiment, you'll never know. It won't cost you much for the materials
and it doesn't take all that much time. Let us know how you do.

-- Cornergar@aol.com wrote:
Kitty, In your experience is it too late in the season to do perennial
cuttings in our zone? You've set new goals for me with your success!  Kathyz5