Re: propagation boxes

Because of the angles of the house and the trees, I don't think there's
any direct sun to cause the boxes to heat up too much. Directly to the
south of the boxes, the Florida room juts out. If at any time it seems
like I could have used too much water, I just reset the lid cock-eyed
for awhile (few hours) but for the most part just leave it on.

Previous to using the boxes I would use 8 inch mum pots for 7 cuttings,
insert chopsticks, and wrap with saran. This was usually successful for
Strobilanthes. I didn't provide any deliberate ventilation, though the
saran was obviously not fool-proof.

I've seen ventilation holes for sed starting toppers but I don't recall
any instructions requiring ventillation for cuttings. Do you think it
would be better to have some small holes?

-- "James R. Fisher" <garrideb@well.com> wrote:
kmrsy@netzero.net wrote:
> Jim asked to see the propagation boxes and their location. As I
> mentioned, they're on the west side of the house under a Cherry Tree.
> This is a work area. Instead of landscaping up to the house here, the
> bed starts about 6 or 7 feet out and the area in between can be used for
> various tasks. This is one of the spots where I group pots over winter.
Thanks much for the pictures. Tends to reduce my addled confusions...
And you don't drill holes for ventilation ? High humidity more beneficial
than ventilation ? Does that side of the house get any direct sun, or just
high shade ?
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W