Re: Starting a nursery

>Granted, Endless Summer [TM] fills a need
>that no other Hydrangea could fill before,

Have you looked at H.m. 'Sadie Ray', Chris?

-- "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com> wrote:
> The first year I did my nursery everyone wanted Verbena 'Homestead Purple.'
> So, on the advice of one of my retail nursery owners I ordered a bunch of
> plugs the next spring. I could barely give it away. I know people see
> things in Southern Living Magazine (here especially) and fly out to the
> nurseries to get it. By the next year they're looking for something else
> popular.
> So, my advice would be to start keeping up with what's named most popular,
> or best plant of the year, etc. Because next spring people will be looking
> for it if it's been mentioned in a magazine.

I agree 100%.

I was talking with Donna via email last night about what the current
trends are.  I think shade gardens used to be the in thing, but they're
now slightly passe and there's a lot more focus on sun plants with bright
bold colors.

Although I'm mostly a shade gardener, I think I need to focus on more
unusual stuff and plants that can cross over from sun to shade. Sedges
seem like they're still growing in popularity, for example.

One thing about all of the hot new plants -- almost all of them have
restricted propagation rights and corresponding insane prices.  For
that reason people are falling to the old stand-bys on certain plants.
Granted, Endless Summer [TM] fills a need that no other Hydrangea could
fill before, so its ubiquity is probably a good thing.

I subscribe to Chicagoland Gardening, but I haven't looked at more general
Midwestern magazines.