Re: Dennis, Katrina, & the Gourds

NOT TO WORRY. It's hard to go wrong with gourds. One year my dogs picked
about 5 of them off the vine about a month before harvest time. Nice
little teeth marks in the soft flesh. I hung them out to dry with the
others and figured what the hell.....when they dry they end up with a
moldy layer on them that turns white or black (depending on where you
live I guess) and you have to srub it off next year with a brillo pad or
something. Anyway...those that had puppy teeth marks on them dried fine
and I sanded most of it off, what marks were left just gave them
"character". :0)

The gourds are growing up a Clerodendrum tree, jumping from the top of
it, to a giant bird of paradise, and going higher--maybe 20 feet off
the ground. A bougainvillea is also growing up the Clerodendrum;
bougainvilleas have large, nasty spines.

Dennis beat up some the gourds; battering them against bougainvillea
spines and such. In all cases, the worst seems to be scars on the
gourds' hide. None of it looks fatal or festering.

Now Katrina has joined in the fun by starting the harvest. It's a tad
premature, I think, but so far she has blown two large ones out the the
tree tops. I've had to open my last package of panty hose--kinky
gardener's true confession--to cut some rings to hang the gourds in the

Man, I sure hope they dry okay. If not, I'm really going to be

Meantime, I feel obliged to run out in this goofy weather every now and
again to make sure Ms K hasn't picked some more.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10