Re: borers

Yes, that is how we got them here.  My mom smuggled some cuttings in  from
Germany when she moved here.  From those, she grew several in her  garden in SA,
gave me some when I got my house in Houston, and passed on several  cuttings
to people all over the US that wanted them.  So that one  introduction from
Germany is all over the US by now.

In Germany they are slow growing and short lived, but do live more than a
decade.  Here they grow very fast and apparently die fast too.  My mom  has one
that is still doing well, and two that are hanging in there.  Mine  are not as
old, but died earlier.  Not sure if it is the humidity, weather,  or what.  I
figured they would do better here since we have more  rain....guess not.
She has hardly any rain, and definitely hotter than here, or at least the
same heat.  Only difference is that they get a bit more colder winters, and
less humidity.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 8/9/2006 11:03:23 AM Central Standard Time,