Cats!

It's 12:45 am and I'm up. I was half asleep when I realized that I hadn't
turned off my computer or the lights, but more than that, it was too quiet!
I had this sinking feeling that Little One had gotten out AGAIN!  You see he
has learned to wiggle the sliding screen door open, so we have to keep the
glass door closed which is a major problem when it's hot inside and we need
the breeze! Spot, LO's big brother, has figured out how to open the screen
door from the outside when it's locked and he wants to get back in.  He
grabs it with his claws and pulls, disengaging the simple latch and then
slides the screen open. He let LO out another day and I used the can opener
and food trick and it worked fairly well. I had to use it again when LO
snuck out yesterday when the glass door wasn't closed.

Tonight I found a window pushed open. We have casements and one wasn't
locked! I threw on some clothes and ran outside with my flashlight in tow.
After a few nervous minutes, I saw him in the shadows.  I don't know how
long he was outside this time, but he seems to stay close to the house. It
was a bit scary as I worried that he'd wander farther astray!  It's really
dark here and our front door light is not working.  Try tracking a cat in
the dark with a flash light!  I think that he's a little spooked by the
flashlight after our ordeal in the crawl space the other day! I ran inside
to get the can opener and some cat food, but that trick has lost its appeal!
I should have tried tuna fish.  I rarely give my cats canned food, so he
doesn't seem too interested in it. I decided to sit on the lawn and try to
get him to come to me.  He kept circling closer and eventually I was able to
snatch him up!  Thank goodness! He is a high maintenance cat! We love him to
pieces, but having one indoor cat is really hard when the others are allowed
some freedom.  They have been well trained to come when called and Spot
especially stays very close to home. I wanted Little One to be an indoor cat
as he and Jaron live in a city. I guess he's getting a bit of outdoor
training while he's visiting!  He was even climbing some tree trunks
tonight.

Well, I guess that I can go back to bed now.
Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)

chris@widom-assoc.com