Re: Re: frogs

Have you ever seen the tadpoles of the Bufo marinus? They are huge -- just a gaping mouth with a tail attached. Like crocodiles they are hatched in salt water (at least ours were). The ones at my house liked to 'lounge' about in the lily pond, too.
zone 7
West TN
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:31 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Re: frogs

I suppose every amphibian is different. Here I usually start hearing the
frogs in spring when they are really active, then it tapers off a bit, then
starts up again.....on and off through fall.
Usually after a rain they are active.....especially the toads. I think it
is instinct, since they can lay eggs in shallow temporary waters, to mate
after a rain. Their tadpoles become toads after a couple weeks only. Frogs on
the other hand remain tadpoles for much longer. The Bullfrog is the longest,
I think..... remains a tadpole for up to two years.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 8/14/2006 11:02:21 PM Central Standard Time,