From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:03 AM
To: Garden Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Waiting for Ernesto

It's sunny, heat index of 95, and absolutely still outdoors.

I just went out to pick some bamboo palm seeds for a woman in
Massachusetts, and--in spite of the temperature--lingered long enough to
check out a few things.

Ms Fatma's papaya has set it's second crop and may produce a ripe one or
two fruits for her to take to Boston in November. She's traveling north
to witness the birth of her first grandchild [a girl].

The orange jasmines are now in their third bloom cycle this year--really
amazing masses of small white flowers that one can smell 100 feet away.

The Barbados cherry [aka acerola] continues to bloom and produce. In
fact, it now has more blossoms than at any time earlier this year. And
that is good. I try to eat five or six cherries a day; they have 30+
times as much vitamin C ounce for ounce as oranges, and they're tasty
besides. If I eat 10 or more, I begin to have delusions about being
Linus Pauling.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W