Re: Hot and dark

Ohhh Cyndi...what a MESS! And I'm sorry about the puppy-dog too. Very
sad. And in my life experience, death seems to come in threes. I don't
know why, but it does. It sounds like you are handling things pretty
well though. I'll keep you and your sister in my prayers.

Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil> wrote:
  I'm sitting here in the dark - well, not entirely, I have a pretty big
window - because southern California is supposed to be in this big power
emergency due to the heat, and we've been asked to turn off everything
we can. So we've turned off all the lights on this floor since there's
just enough natural light to work with. We couldn't POSSIBLY turn off
the computers you know, and it would be defeating the purpose to send us
home - everyone would go turn on their air conditioning. We're working
in dimness (no cracks about government workers please :-) and no doubt
they'll turn off the A/C too.
It's just weird. It's going to be over 100 today, it was hot yesterday,
but it's a bit overcast and we are also blanketed in smoke from the Zaca
fire, 100 miles to the west. I can't smell it but I can feel it when I
breathe, I don't want to take in a deep breath and I'm getting some
sinus headache. It's really hazy, visibility is less than a mile, and
brownish. The sunrise this morning was this blood-red disc, very eerie
My sister called yesterday with more bad news. Their ancient labrador
died. I think maybe my late brother-in-law called her to come, you know?
Well, more sadness, but my sister wasn't too upset - Missy was really
old and they'd been thinking she was on borrowed time for the last year.
She tells me, you know things come in threes, you should be careful. I
had to laugh. Years back the two of us went through a period where
relatives dropped like flies, we lost about 5 of them in one year
including our mother, and we dealt with it by making a lot of death
jokes. It's all coming back to me now...but that's okay.
Yesterday I turned in my preserved foods entries for the fair. Imagine
my indignation when the woman in front of me also entered
peach-raspberry jam. What nerve! Ah well, just have to wait and see how
I do. I sure didn't have as many entries this year. I am thinking I
might be able to stay out of the kitchen this weekend and work on the
garden instead. My husband is saying he wants to work on the dry garden,
I have to be out there to stop him from pruning things. When I think
what he did to my poor mahonias in the tea garden...non-gardeners should
not be allowed to use pruning shears.

Jesse R. Bell