Re: OMG - it's weather!

Did you grow gourds this year Jim?  My dog planted some for me.  I bought the seeds and was going to plant some, then walked outside one day and realized that Kyla had torn open all of my seed packets and they were scattered and/or eaten by her.  Great.  With the wet, wet spring I just never bothered to plant them.  Kyle did.  She scattered them over to a corner in the side yard and now I have four round gourds the size of a basketball growing on my fence.  I turned them this morning to keep an indention from growing on one side where they hang on the fence.  They are getting HEAVY.  They are cool.  I've never grown this kind before.

  I know the feeling. I went to the Fresno County fair one year and the
winner in the gourd division [or whatever] was a bushel gourd that
could have easily been called a 3-bushel gourd. It was as big as a nail
keg. I was consumed with envy. I scribbled down the exhibitor's name
and city and tried to find him/her, but never did. If I had, I probably
would have been arrested for gourd stalking.

On Aug 30, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

> Look, up in the sky - too big for a bird, can't be a plane - no, they
> are clouds! Clouds by golly and what is that bright light? Lightning!
> And thunder! And - wait for it - RAIN! Okay so maybe it's only a tenth
> of an inch but there was definitely water falling from the sky, I can
> see puddles. Didn't rain on me of course, I think when you want it bad
> enough it goes somewhere else. But we must have followed it all the way
> into work.
> It is still pretty warm though and yesterday was just seriously hot. I
> got into the car after my lunchtime yoga class and I was really
> thirsty,
> decided to have a drink from the bottle of water I'd left in the car. I
> knew it would be pretty warm water but I actually scalded myself a
> little. Wow. We took the horses to our team penning lesson at 7:00 and
> we were all out there sweating like horses, and not much better at
> 11:00
> when we got home. I don't know how you folks in humid climates can do
> anything.
> I am looking forward to 5 days at home starting tomorrow, although it
> is
> supposed to be hot like this so I don't know how much gardening I'll
> get
> done, but if I can't stand to be out there is still plenty to do
> inside.
> My new range will show up Tuesday. Husband has the entire next week off
> work and I'm steadily increasing the length of his honey-do list,
> although it's more of a suggestion list in truth.
> Our local paper had an article about the woman who has won the most
> points in the fair's garden competition for the last five years. She
> entered something like 82 categories!! I was consumed with jealousy. Of
> course if I were retired like her I could probably do that too (leaving
> aside the fact we now have other things to eat up our free time when
> we're retired) but, but, I can't help it, I'm jealous.
> Cyndi
Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W