Hi Donna-
I, of course, only took pictures of the nice things in New Orleans.
Hurricanes are not like tornadoes and there is an awful lot that still
looks like a disaster area.
Contrary to your hypothesis below, in Katrina's case there was a small
area preserved (the "sliver by the river") that included the french
quarter- which did not flood.  Yes, there was wind damage and
looting/vandalism, but that is much faster and easier to repair.  The
Mississippi river is not what flooded, it was Lake Ponchatrain which has
an opening into the Gulf and also channels that are supposed to take
excess water AWAY from the city and dump the excess into the Lake and
ultimately flow into the Gulf.   Well the storm surge from the hurricane
reversed that process in a big way.  The surge overflooded the lake,
forced massive quantities of water into the channels and broke through
the levees along the channels (e.g into the 9th Ward).  So actually a
very wide area outside of the main downtown area of New Orleans was
severely flooded.  (I learned all of this on the tour I took- it was
really interesting/sad).

The plants are in the New Orleans Botanical garden contained within City
Park.  Read about their Katrina damage here:
It is evident that not all plants/trees were lost despite being under a
couple of feet of water, as there were a number of very large oaks etc
present.  I'm sure all of the smaller plants were gonners though.  The
garden itself if fairly small, but very nice. The sign at the garden
indicated that over 1000 trees were lost in the whole of City Park.

Some of the sculptures were in the botanical gardens, and others were in
the Sculpture garden (again in City Park, near the Art Museum).
Although I cannot find specific info on Katrina damage to the sculpture
garden, it is my impression that is was largely spared.

None of this area was devastated like New Orleans East, which is much
closer to the channels and levees.  It still looks like a bomb went off
there in many places.  The mall is just a pile of rubble, house that are
just missing, others half ripped apart, the search symbols still on the
front of some homes long abandoned that indicates if bodies were found
there or not....  Incredibly sad and really disgraceful that our
government still hasn't done something to fix the problems.  Every time
I hear that FEMA wants people out of the "temporary" trailers I now
understand that people do not have another option in many cases.  Where
exactly are they supposed to go- they lost everything and then some.  It
is pretty clear that money and efforts at rebuilding have been focused
on tourist and affluent areas- but that average working person is just
out of luck.  Some areas have been bought up and super bargain prices by
developers.  So there are tracks of huge expensive homes along some
waterways.  The developers have made a fortune off of other peoples
misery in those cases.

As we drove by the Superdome I kept thinking they should rename it and
paint it a new color, or something so that is doesn't look like it did
when so many people were stranded there.  The building alone probably
causes PTSD flashbacks for residents still living in NOLA.  There is
construction of some kind going on pretty much everywhere around New
Orleans.  ALOT is volunteer and charity efforts.  It just can't possible
meet the need however- but I guess every little bit helps.  Maybe in 30
years it will be finished....but I bet alot of people continue to lose
their property because they can't fix it, can't pay the taxes while
living somewhere else, etc.

Sorry to burst your idea that NOLA is OK- it very definitely is not.