RE: I give up!

I admire your perseverance - I think I'd have given up long before this.
Maybe it's a good thing I don't have enough sun to grow veggies.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:14 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] I give up!

My vegetable garden is a total disaster, and I just can't fight it any
longer this year.  First the early peas were eaten off just after they had
begun to climb and make flower buds.  A few years ago we had had a problem
with woodchucks and dug a trench around the vegetable garden fence and put
chicken wire about two feet down.  Well, we found a hole in the fence and
blocked it up.  Things seemed to be working well.  Because of weather and
much distractions here, I didn't get much more started as soon as usual, but
had some nice early lettuce.  Borage had reseeded all around, and I got a
blue ribbon on some at an early flower show.  Then I did get a couple of
rows of beans in, which came up nicely.
I planted various other things, especially squash and sunflowers, which
never came up at all.  I discovered that the chipmunks that have holes under
the mulch were eating the seeds as soon as I planted them.  But the beans
were looking good, and I had planted another two rows in a couple of weeks.
When the first beans were about a foot high and making blossoms, I went down
to the garden to find they and all been topped at about six inches.
The second row was just coming up, and had survived.  I found another hole
where the old chickenwire had rusted away, and blocked it up. Planted more
beans, including pole beans all around the fence.  Then just when the third
plantings were up and looking good,the critters struck again.  I don't know
where they are getting in now, but there is nothing left.  They stripped the
borage plants to mere stalks - not a leaf left.  The lettuce bed looked as
if it had been mowed.  They hadn't bothered the tomatoes, but today when I
went down, I found that all of the large tomatoes had bites taken out of
them.  The only thing that is still growing are the onions, which have done
quite well.  But at this time of the year I just don't see any point in
trying to get anything else going.  I'll see if I can get someone to dig
around and put in new wire, but I'm feeling as if that's a futile exercise
at this point.  Sorry to unburden my troubles on you guys, but I'm really
bummed out.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.
017 )