From: james singer <islandjim1@comcast.net>
To:
gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:21:23 AM
Subject: Re:
[CHAT] succulents

I would only remind you that burning orchards seems to be
preferred
response of insectophobes to perceived problems rather than an
indicator of actual seriousness. Remember the citrus canker hysteria
of a
few years ago? The idiots burned untold numbers of orchards,
nurseries, and
people's backyards to get rid of that terrible scourge.
Ruined a lot of
lives and livelihoods.

On Aug 13, 2008, at 10:48 PM, David Franzman wrote:

Holy smoly Batman.  Jim you and I go back a long way and I have
> hardly
ever
> disagreed with you but on this one man I have to say something.

Pink Mealy
> bug is killing huge sections of citrus both in So Cal. and Fl.
> personally
> know several nurseries that were closed because the
perscribed
> method of
> eradication is burning the plants.  The glassy
winged sharpshooter
> carries
> Pierce disease which can wipe out vineyards
and while I don't think
> our Ag.
> dept is filled with the brightest lights
but they have spent
> millions to keep
> it out of Sonoma/Napa area as well
as most of Nor Cal.  Two more
> examples are
> the Apple Moth, a new
transplant from Australia or New Zealand and
> of course
> SOD or Sudden Oak
Death Syndrome which is wiping out oak forests
> here and
> elsewhere.

Hibiscus are a trivial crop no doubt but they are passed around
> all over the
world but what isn't a trivial crop is cotton which
> hibiscus are
> related
to and quite easily pass diseases from one to another.
> Hey, it's a
> small
world and I suppose that all of this stuff will eventually
> circle the

earth but if anybody is concerned with spreading noxious plants,
> pests and
> disease the unregulated sharing of plants in a informal and careless
> way
will
> certainly hurry things right along.  But you're right!!  The winner

in the
> short run is Monsanto!

james singer
> <islandjim1@comcast.net>
Wednesday, August 13,
> 2008 6:56:14 PM
> Subject: Re: [CHAT] succulents

think you overstate your
> case, David. The pink mealybug is only a
> pest of
consequence on hibiscus.
> And I think we can agree that while
> hibiscus is a
nice plant, it's really a
> trivial crop. And the biggest
> problem with the
glassy wing sharpshooter
> seems to be that it poops on
> automobiles and
causes an unsightly mess. These
> two scourges may
> excite the chemists at
Monsanto, but I fail to see why they
> have any
> significance at all.
>
> On
Aug 13, 2008, at 4:12 PM, David Franzman
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim
>> Your good
point brings up another aspect of plant

> buying/selling/trading and that
is that for many species of plants

> (hibiscus
>> among them) it's illegal
to trade across national/state borders
>> without
>> licenses.  Uninspected
material crossing zones and regions can

> spread disease
>> and pests that
can spread to other plants with no natural
> defense.
>> Daves
>> Garden and
other sites unwittingly facilitate this