RE: I want a medal

You did good - cheers for you.

Zone 7 West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:47 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] I want a medal

I came home last night and started watering this little corner of the back
lawn we reseeded a couple weeks ago. We had put down bird netting over it to
keep the dogs from digging it up while the grass got started.
So I'm standing not terribly close spraying water and I see something
moving...uh-oh. It was a 3 ft gopher snake caught up in the netting. I said
bad words.  Seems every time we try to use that netting something living
gets stuck in it, you'd think we'd know better by now. I looked and he was
really tangled, he must have threaded himself through that mesh in 20
places. I wimped out for a moment and called husband's cell phone, but he
was nowhere near being home. Damn. Now, I'm not really afraid of snakes, but
somehow handling one not in a cage was making me mighty nervous. But I got
my little pair of scissors, decided he couldn't move his head far enough to
bite me, and started cutting him loose from the tail end. There I am trying
desperately to see the fine plastic mesh and cut it off without cutting him,
meanwhile the snake is thrashing around my hands. He never did hiss or try
to bite me, thankfully, and finally I just grabbed behind the head and
lifted him up
so I could see better.   Eventually I got him loose and dropped him. He
tried to go down a gopher hole near the lawn, but it was blocked about 4
inches down so he just laid there with his head down the hole like an
ostrich. I couldn't let the dogs loose until he was out of sight so I had to
pick him up again and find him a hiding place.
After I threw away the netting I  got myself a stiff drink. Sheesh!