Re: Island Jim!

True. Thankfully they recently opened some of the new lanes on  I-10 making
at least 5-6 lanes on both sides instead of the 3-4 lanes we used to  have.
That has helped regular traffic a lot, and definitely helped with  this
situation as well.
One thing I've learned about hurricanes and tropical storms, they almost
always seem to have a mind of their own, despite all the modern technology,  etc.
 Most recently with Fay.......definitely wasn't projected to do what  it did.
 Rita too, came as a complete surprise to east Houston and parts  east of
there, which wasn't even in the projected cone.  They were no where  near
prepared, in fact many people from west of Houston evacuated to  Beaumont, Port
Arthur, etc.   I guess that's why they've put mandatory  evacuations in effect for
the entire upper Gulf Coast, better safe than  sorry.  Glad that they
evacuated New Orleans completely......being under  sea level, no matter where the
storm hits, they will have problems.  The  levees are no where near being
completed, and those that are will be seriously  put to a test they say.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 8/31/2008 9:49:12 PM Central Daylight Time,