Crazy weather

Here we are in the middle of August and the only really hot
days we have had were in March and April - the March one
followed by frost.  Although there have been predictions for
90 degree days, the temperatures have rarely reached 85
here, and not even 80 many days.  The spring was terribly
dry, but July made up for it with too much rain.  Even when
it was dry, the skies were overcast most of the time - a
sunny day was rare.  I'm sure that's why so many things
in the garden are doing poorly.  My onions started out
looking good, but in  the past two weeks have just pooped
out making only tiny bulbs if any at all.  I'm sure the excessive
rain and dark skies tricked them into thinking fall was here -
they were long-day varieties, and there just wasn't enough
light.  Now, this morning I looked out the window and realized
that my dogwoods are showing a lot of color.  And this is
just August.  Does this mean we are going to have a very
early fall - or will summer finally come in September and
we'll have a hot Indian Summer?