From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
Subject: [CHAT] summer?
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Saturday, August 29, 2009, 9:46 AM

What happened to summer?  After the coolest July on record, we
finally had a few warmish days, but mostly overcast and humid.
Then early this week a couple of days up in the 80s.  90 degrees
was predicted but never happened here. Now we are back into
what looks like real fall weather.  It hasn't been above 72 since
Thursday - wasn't out of the 60s yesterday and doesn't look like
it will be today.  It's drizzling rain, but less than an inch has
fallen - just dismal and depressing.  Add to that, the dogwood
trees are definitely turning color, and the flock of goldfinches that
cluster around our feeder are losing their bright yellow color. We
get so much pleasure from the goldfinches.  There have been more
of them than usual this summer.  Sometimes there are as many
as eight lined up or fussing with each other for a turn at the feeder.
I know they will still be here all winter, but I hate to see them lose
their brilliant summer plumage.
Auralie